Saturday, July 30, 2005

Is this Cooking Light?


Texas Sheet Cake Posted by Picasa

Another recipe for tomorrow. I remember making this cake a couple years ago and I also remember my friend Candi's grandma making a similar cake when I was a teenager.

Its a mildly chocolate cake with cinnamon and pecans in the cooked icing. Its a very simple cake and good for a crowd as you make it in a sheet pan.

This recipe came from cooking light but I found it over on the texas sheet cake discussion board at egullet.org
Texas Sheet Cake
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1tsp soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs

icing
6 tbls butter
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans

in a pan, heat the butter, cocoa and water( or sub coffee). In a bowl, mix the dry ingrediets, add the mixture in the pan, beat with mixer. Add the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla. Spread in a greased and floured jelly roll pan. Bake around 15 min at 375.

While cake is baking, make icing.

Cook butter, cocoa and milk. Take off heat, beat in powdered sugar and vanilla, add a half cup
( or more chopped pecans). Spread on warm cake and then cool.

This recipe is supposed to serve 20people. Its kinda sweet so I cut the sugar in the cake by about 1/4 cup.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks wonderful. I've read many, many good reviews of that recipe and I need to try it for myself one of these days!

10:09 AM, August 03, 2005

 
Blogger Cate said...

That cake looks delicious!

8:07 AM, August 12, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home