Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Red Swiss Chard and Goat cheese tart


Red swiss chard and goat cheese tart Posted by Picasa

I love swiss chard and I dont use it often enough. Last weekend when we were in Goderich, I asked Wife to stop at Food Basics. I love how inexpensive their produce is. I knew I wanted the swiss chard because I saw this recipe in an old issue of Martha Stewart Living. However, the recipe actually calls for regular swiss chard and I guess I missed that little tidbit. Oh well. Im flexible. I was also attracted to the recipe because I love goat cheese and I love using whole wheat flour in pastry. I made the pastry this morning and froze it. The filling was straightfoward too. ( at least in my version). I find that often Martha recipes throw in a lot of extra steps I just find superfluous. So, I tried to simplify this recipe so I wouldnt leave the wife with a lot of dishes.

Wife also has a huge sensitivity to onions, which makes cooking with them challenging. This recipe called for 1 onion. I used 1 shallot instead and cooked it well with the stems. Next I added balsamic and a pinch of salt and pepper. I threw in the chopped up leaves, some anchovy paste and let that cookdown. When it was fully cooled, I put a layer on the bottom of a freeform tart shell that I rolled out on parchment. Next layer was goat cheese, then more chard. Top with raisins and pine nuts. Fold edges over, brush with egg wash.

Findings: I liked it a lot, Robin thought it was "different". In Robin speak, different means "its a flavour and texture that's unfamilar" Oh sometimes different is followed by " You dont have to make this ever again". Tonight different meant " The chard is strong, but the goat cheese balances it out" ( I'll make a foodie out of her if its the last thing I do)

Neverthless, She ate it and then asked me what was for dinner. She's funny that one. I served the chard with a simple garden salad. We also had a bit of the leftover soba noodle salad.

I'm not going to post the recipe, unless someone really wants it. I will post the tart dough, because I loved it.

Oatmeal dough
1/2 cup each, white flour, whole wheat flour and oatmeal
1 tsp salt
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup butter, cut into small pieces

process flours, oatmeal and salt in food processor. Add egg yolk and butter and proccess until the mix comes together. You might have to add 1-2tbls cold water( I did). Pat into a disk, wrap in cling film and freeze for 10 min.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home