Sunday, August 28, 2005

2 dishes for my client


Braised chicken with swiss chard, tomatoes and balsamic Posted by Picasa

Im almost happy that my law firm job is ending. I havent cooked as much as I like because of time contraints. I worked today at the law firm. I could have stayed all day, but I knew I had to cook for my client.

I left work at 1:30 and went to No Frills. I needed a few last minute items. I made this dish for the first time today. Robin went to the clients house and picked some gorgeous yellow swiss chard. She also gave Robin some cukes and beans.

So, on to this dish. Braised chicken with swiss chard, tomatoes and balsamic reduction. I cooked the thighs in evoo, the added an onion and a diced shallot. My client cant have any garlic what so ever so I subbed the shallot. Next came some tomato paste and anchovy paste. Fresh thyme, rosemary and a bay leaf rounded out the herbs. Chicken stock and dry red wine, plus a can of chopped tomatoes was the balance of the liquid. This went into the oven for 40 min. The chard stems were added, cooked for 8 min. Then the leaves. cook for 3 more minutes and ta da, its done. The recipes in on the Cook's Illustrated website.

Client also requested curried couscous salad. Ive made this for her before and its so simple. The recipe comes from Ina Garten, barefoot contessa.


Curried couscous salad Posted by Picasa

The dressing consists of whole milk yogurt, evoo and white wine vinegar. Curry powder, tumeric, salt and pepper. You toss this with cooked couscous, diced red pepper, scallion, diced cukes( my addition), fresh parsley. Then you add currants and almonds.

I also made a version with quinoa. My client has a wheat intolerance so I thought Id make her the quinoa. I made it with a lemon vinagerette and some feta, pepitas( pumpkin seeds) and diced aprocots. I hope she likes it.

2 Comments:

Blogger FoodNinja said...

I love that contessa she is so sassy :P

10:49 AM, August 30, 2005

 
Blogger Cate said...

I love couscous - yummy stuff. That sauce that the chicken is in looks delicious, almost curry like. Did the client like it?

7:23 PM, August 30, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home