Friday, August 12, 2005

SHF #11 Coffee


Black Magic Cake Posted by Picasa

Welcome to my first SugarHighFriday hosted by Roland
I'm one of those rare people that doesn't need a cup of Joe in the morning to get me going. Now, my wife on the other hand is the complete opposite. The first thing she does after jumping out of bed is start her coffee maker.

Occasionally, I do enjoy a Starbucks frappacino or a Tim's Iced Cap. However, while Im not a big coffee connoisseur straight up, I really enjoy baking with coffee.

Coffee is a great partner to chocolate, it really brings out all the chocolately goodness and it helps provide a nice depth of flavor.

I decided to make my infamous Black Magic Cake. I've probably made this cake about a 1000 times in my life and it never fails to impress. Its such an easy cake too. Dump everything in a bowl, mix and bake. This cake is very verstatile. It can be made into cupcakes( but use the foil liners), baked into layers and slathered with Hershey's one bowl buttercream frosting, baked in a 9 x13 and toted to potlucks or as a bundt cake dusted with powdered sugar and served with whipped cream or a scoop of good vanilla ice cream. It's also a very economical cake to make as it uses oil instead of butter.

I love this cake so much that I entered it in our towns fair last year and I won First Prize.

Please, please try it, but if you do, dont try subbing any cocoa other than Hershey's( unless of course you want to use valrhona, i'll forgive you for that)


Black Magic Cake
1 and 3/4 cup flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup hersheys cocoa
2 eggs
1 cup butter milk
1 cup coffee
1/2 cup oil.
1 tsp vanilla

first measure out the dry ingredients, put into a large bowl. add all the wet ingredients except coffee. Mix well. Add coffee and bake at 350f. My oven is way off. My bundt cake took only 35 min. The smell is intoxicating.......

9 Comments:

Blogger Cookie Madness said...

I love that cake too, but haven't made it in a while. One of these days, when I can actually rationalize spending $10.00 on cocoa powder, I'll try it with the Valrhona. For now, Hershey's is fine. I don't think I've made this one with the new "Hershey's Dark".

7:08 PM, August 12, 2005

 
Blogger Joe said...

This looks so good! We love the chocolate and coffee combo so I will definetly remember this when we need the fix!

8:02 PM, August 12, 2005

 
Blogger Jessica "Su Good Sweets" said...

Hey Randi, I saw your post on Nic's blog about wholemeal/oatmeal tart dough. That sounds delicious! Could you send me the recipe please?

11:42 AM, August 13, 2005

 
Blogger Ruth Daniels said...

It certainly looks like a prize winner. Can't wait to try it.

11:02 AM, August 14, 2005

 
Blogger Cate said...

Going to try it tonight - thanks for the recipe!

8:29 AM, August 15, 2005

 
Blogger boo_licious said...

The cake looks great and I definitely have some Hershey's cocoa. Thanks so much for the recipe.

7:11 PM, August 15, 2005

 
Blogger Lori said...

With a name like that, who wouldn't want to try baking this cake? :) Delicious.

10:28 PM, August 15, 2005

 
Blogger myCoffee said...

Hi! Tried this recipe yesterday and it was great! Thanks for the recipe and I hope you won't mind linking this page to my blog.

7:30 PM, October 27, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Randi, Just want to check with you do you need to grease/flour the bundt tin?

8:03 PM, November 07, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home