Tuesday, November 22, 2005

1 dessert down........


maple date bars Posted by Picasa

I was only going to bake the pumpkin streusel pie from CL, but decided to make these maple date bars because I like to serve lots of food and I had some dates lanquishing in the fridge. These bars were so good. I took a little sample and in the words of Rachael Ray yum-o. Alice made these too and cut the dates up by hand. I started to, but finished it the cuisinart. I also cut these in more than 20 servings because we're still doing Weight Watchers and I wanted to lower the points. These werent too sweet and 1 was more than enough.

Maple-Date Bars



Wrap these moist bars individually, or place them in a cookie tin between layers of wax or parchment paper.

1 3/4 cups finely chopped pitted dates (about 12 ounces)
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2 ounces)
1 cup regular oats
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray

Combine dates, water, and maple syrup in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil; cook 12 minutes or until most liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently. (Mixture will look like jam.) Stir in rind; cool completely.
Preheat oven to 400°.

Beat sugar and butter with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, oats, baking soda, and salt. Stir flour mixture into sugar mixture (mixture will be crumbly). Press 2 cups flour mixture into bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Spread date mixture over flour mixture. Sprinkle with remaining flour mixture. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.

Yield: 20 servings (serving size: 1 bar)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 162(28% from fat); FAT 5g (sat 2.3g,mono 2g,poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 1.6g; CHOLESTEROL 12mg; CALCIUM 14mg; SODIUM 78mg; FIBER 1.8g; IRON 0.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 29.5g

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay...glad you liked them...I thought they were excellent and I'm definitely making more. I'm also glad to hear that the Cuisinart worked...it took me at least a half hour to chop all those dates by hand!! I'm making the streuseled pumpkin pie for T-Day, also...so we'll have to compare notes on that as well. I won't make mine until Friday, though...my T-Day meal will be Saturday...we're going out to eat with the family on Thursday. My T-Day menu is partly from this month's CL, although I picked my turkey, stuffing, and gingerbread recipes from other years of CL. The stuff I'm making from this month is the trio of pureed veggies, the sauteed spinach with mushrooms, and balsamic roasted beets...oh and the pumpkin pie, too. Any chance you're making any of those? Can't wait to hear your report!

5:42 AM, November 23, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home