Monday, November 21, 2005

Countdown to Thanksgiving.......


cranberry, cherry and walnut conserve Posted by Picasa

Seems I am not the only one getting ready for Thanksgiving. I decided to make the entire meal( except last night I thought I needed another side dish so Im going to make a non-cooking light one) from the November issue of Cooking Light. I'm excited for two reasons. 1. because I get to try some new recipes and 2. because we have invited some friends over and this might be their first taste of an American Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving was always an important holiday in my family( as it is in most American families) and I dont want to give it up just because I live in Canada now.

The first recipe I tackled was the cranberry sauce. I cant believe I've never made this from scratch. It was so easy. This recipe has some dried cherries, port wine, walnuts and orange peel. The recipe made a lot too. You're just seeing the remainder that wouldnt fit in the jar. I snuck a taste and it was yummy.

Cranberry, Cherry, and Walnut Chutney

Aside from making a stellar accompaniment to roast turkey, this chutney is great for gift giving; pack in a ribbon-tied jelly jar. It also goes well with roast chicken, pork tenderloin, or ham.

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup port or other sweet red wine
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 cup dried tart cherries
1 (12-ounce) package fresh cranberries
2/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
Orange rind strips (optional)

Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Add cherries, and cook 1 minute. Stir in cranberries; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until cranberries pop. Remove from heat. Stir in walnuts, grated rind, and extract. Garnish with orange rind strips, if desired. Cover and chill.

Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1/4 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 108(25% from fat); FAT 3g (sat 0.2g,mono 0.7g,poly 2g); PROTEIN 1.5g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 11mg; SODIUM 2mg; FIBER 1.8g; IRON 0.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 19.7g

David Bonom
Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2005

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Do you celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving as well?
I love Thanksgiving dinner too,and I am curious to see how your CL dinner turns out.

7:23 PM, November 21, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home