Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Gorgeous pie


pumpkin streusel Posted by Picasa

Is this not gorgeous or what? I'm not really know for my pies as I used to be really afraid of crust. I still dont like working with crust, so when i saw that this pie called for half a package of pillsbury ready to bake, i decided to go for it. However, I think everyone and their mother is afraid of making pie crust too because Kroger had NO pillsbury. They also had NO Kroger brand so I thought I'll just make my own. I used Martha Stewart's one crust pate brise recipe which is very simple to come together. It's an all butter recipe too so the flavor is superior. I'm sure it has a lot more calories than Pillsbury, but at least the filling is fat free.

The filling is 1 can of pumpkin, assorted spices( i used pumpkin pie spice) eggs and fat free sweetened condensed milk. I made the streusel a couple days ago and kept it in the fridge. If I remember correctly, the struesel only has 2 or 3tbls of butter. The day I made the streusel, I chopped up a pear and sprinkled some struesel on it and baked it off. I wanted to try it before using it all on the pie and it was good, not too greasy and not too sweet.

I'll let you know how this tastes, that will be the true test. It smells fantastic too.

6 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

What did you think of the pie? I made the streusel pie as well but changed some of the stuff around. We loved it!

7:08 PM, November 25, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made this last night...we eat it today! I made my own crust,too...I couldn't help but feel it would be a sacrilege to buy a pie crust! The one I made is probably more of a cheat, though...Betty Crocker's Pat-In-the-Pan Oil Pie Pastry Crust. We'll see later this afternoon!

8:47 AM, November 26, 2005

 
Blogger Nic said...

I want to hear how this was, randi. It looks so delicious! Actually, I also love the idea of a streusel-topped pear as a simple dessert.

5:07 PM, November 26, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the pie was fabulous! Definitely something I would make again. I really could not detect a difference from using the ff condensed milk. The streusel was really wonderful...definitely made the pie! The crust I used turned out very well, too. It was unobtrusive, yet had a nice body and texture... I also like your idea of baking in custard cups without crust.

8:25 AM, November 27, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually...my turkey recipe was from November 2002, I think. I actually have one of those thermometers that goes in the thigh, and the top rests on the counter...I haven't had any problems before until this year. Probably we just didn't have the darn thing positioned correctly. Also, I usually never cook it all the way to 180, because I'm terrified of dry breast meat...I let this one go to only 177 degrees...perhaps I should have let it go all the way to 180...who knows? At least the bunches of leftovers we have won't get too dry from reheating! :)

Was it the camembert mashed spuds you tried? If they're only okay, that's a shame, cuz I was thinking of doing them for X-mas. I've convinced my parents we should do prime rib for X-mas...preferably a rack of prime rib...never done one before, but that doesn't stop me often! :D

2:41 PM, November 28, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randi - I created a listing for your blog in the ChefsBlogs food blog directory at: www.chefsblogs.com/directory/Foodies_by_Region/Canadian. Please let me know if I need to change anything in your listing by sending an email to webmaster-chefsblogs-com. Also, today we added a "Rate It" feature so that visitors can rate their favorite food blogs.

2:36 PM, November 29, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home