Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Alton Brown's stove top macaroni and cheese



Can you say Yum-O? LOL. I'm so excited to have found( well, honestly I knew about it for a long time but I never tried it before) Dreamfields low carb pasta. I can know eat a serving of pasta without feeling all icky and gross aftewards( I'm diabetic). I've made this recipe many times before, I really like it because its very easy and very tasty. Everything is made in the pot and you dont need to make a fancy bechamel. I use a combination of cheeses, a little sharp and a little mild.

The turkey burgers were burgers I made about a month ago and froze( raw). I like having them all ready made and ready to grill.

1/2 lb elbow macaroni, rotini pasta (1/2 regular box) or pasta shells (1/2 regular box)
4 tablespoons butter ( I used 2tbls)
2 eggs
6 ounces evaporated milk (low fat is fine)
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon salt
fresh black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
12 ounces cheese, shredded

1. In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente and drain.
2. Return to the pot and melt in the butter. Toss to coat.
3. Whisk together the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper and mustard. Stir into the pasta and add the cheese. Over low heat continue to stir for 3 minutes or until creamy. If soupy, cook longer until thickened

5 Comments:

Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

I've made Alton's stove-top mac recipe several times too. I love it - it's so creamy.

I enjoy the Dreamfield's pasta too - I just wish it didn't cost about 4 times as much as regular pasta. I usually use it about once or twice a month, even though we eat a lot more pasta than that.

That burger looks fantastic too.

5:12 AM, January 25, 2006

 
Blogger Dawna said...

Randi, this is very like the recipe in Cook's Illustrated, which I have been using faithfully since 1998. It is a wonderful side dish, nice and rich without actually having tons of butter, not chemically tasting like boxed stuff, and not fussy to put together, like floury white-sauce versions. Your turkey burgers look great, too!

3:07 PM, January 25, 2006

 
Blogger Cyndi said...

Randi, what I like about this recipe is that it doesn't have flour. I've made a lot of mac and cheeses that started with butter and flour, then milk, then cheese. The sauce then comes out too grainy and flour-y. I'm looking forward to trying this one. I'm diabetic, too--and invite you to see some of my recipes. I'm going to be spending a lot of time here looking at yours! And yes, I love Dreamfields. Have you tried Barilla Plus?

9:33 PM, February 01, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi. i tried thiat recipe recently, and i found it disgusting. it was much too cheesy.

4:50 PM, June 10, 2008

 
Anonymous Melissa said...

I've been following your blog for quite a while and enjoying your wealth of good recipes. When Foodista announced that they are going to publish the best food blogs in a full color book that will be published by Andrews McMeel Publishing Fall 2010, I naturally thought of you. This recipe would be a good submission! You can enter here: http://www.foodista.com/blogbook/submit

Cheers,
Melissa

melissa@foodista.com
Editor and Community Developer
Foodista.com -- The Cooking Encyclopedia Everyone Can Edit

4:37 PM, December 21, 2009

 

Post a Comment

<< Home