Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Ina Garten's BBQ sauce.......



I know it must seem weird that I'm making BBQ sauce in the middle of winter, but hey, its about 45F outside so bring it on. LOL. Actually, I'm making ribs for my client. We got an amazing deal on ribs right before the superbowl. Robin went to pick them up for me and I didnt realize how many racks there are in 10lbs. We brought a lot to the superbowl party we attended, but our freezer was still full. I suggested ribs to a client and she went for it. I've blogged about them before, in fact I think it was my first ever post but they are so freaking good, I'm going to tell you about them again.

I coat them with a dry rub that includes paprika( both smoked and regular), cumin, ancho chili pepper, brown sugar, salt, pepper and garlic. The clients didnt get garlic because she's allergic. The ribs marinate with the rub for at least 24hrs. Then I scrape the rub off and bake at 250 for 3-4hrs. Then, I throw them on the grill for about 5min per side and baste with bbq sauce.

Since I'm off of HFCS( high fructose corn syrup), and client is allergic to garlic, I made my own. I saw Ina make this yesterday on Foodtv and it looked really good. The recipe makes a ton of sauce but it will keep for a long time in the fridge. That's a good thing because I plan on grilling a lot this summer.

In addition to the ribs and sauce I also made coleslaw( blogged about before), macaroni salad and baked beans. The beans are so good, they'll get their own post.

Ina Garten’s Barbecue Sauce

From The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
Makes 1 ½ quarts

1 ½ cups chopped yellow onion (1 large onion)
1 T. minced garlic (3 cloves)
½ cup vegetable oil
1 cup tomato paste (10 ounces)
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup honey
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup Dijon mustard
½ cup soy sauce
1 cup hoisin sauce
2 T. chili powder
1 T. ground cumin
½ T. crushed red pepper flakes

In a large saucepan on low heat, sauté the onions and garlic with the vegetable oil for 10 to 15 minutes, until the onions are translucent but not browned. Add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer uncovered on low heat for 30 minutes. Use immediately or store in the fridge.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

Now you've got me kicking myself because I just saw some ribs at a great price and I didn't pick them up.

That barbecue sauce recipe sounds great and I keep all that stuff on hand. I wonder if those ribs are still on sale.....

5:20 AM, February 23, 2006

 
Blogger Sara said...

I watched that show too, the sauce sure looks good. Thanks for the reminder.

1:15 PM, February 24, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home