Sunday, May 21, 2006

Country Captain Chicken( Cook's Country)



apple, banana, coconut and toasted almonds.

As we all know by now, Robin doesnt really like fruit. This is exactly why I made this dinner( I'm on a neverending quest to get her to eat more fruit). I also had everything on hand. Which was amazing in and of itself.

I received a trial issue of Cook's Country last week. I'm not that fond of it because it reminds me of those charity church cookbooks that are sold around here. I much prefer their sister publication, Cook's Illustrated. Nevertheless,I felt like cooking tonight, because I haven't cooked dinner much this week, as we relied on meals that we made at the Community Kitchen.

The original recipe calls for dark meat( and by now we know how much I hate that) and the crock pot. I had taken out boneless, skinless breasts this morning with no clue as to what to do with them.

I cubed up the chicken, dusted it with flour, s + p and then sauteed it. I removed it from the pan and then sauteed some chopped onion, garlic and orange peppers( I had them frozen). Then I added some chicken stock and some chopped tomatoes. Next came the spices. Curry powder( mild, paprika and thyme) and an entire jar of mango chutney goes in next. I cooked this for awhile to marry the flavors, then I added back the chicken and simmered it until the chicken was cooked thru. I made some basmati rice on the side. The article suggests the traditional accompaniments of chopped apple, banana,toasted almonds and coconut. Robin not so willingly put all the fruit on her plate and said " This is a good way to get me to eat fruit". She really, really liked it. That's good, because we'll be eating leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dawna said...

That looks very tasty, Randi. I know what you mean about Cooks Country - there's something kind of forced about their "folksy" delivery, and I find the size of the magazine just too cumbersome. I'm a Cooks Illustrated gal, through and through, but I've never warmed to CC.

I adore the use of coconut and fruit as condiments for a curry dinner. It was absolutely the only bright spot on the otherwise horrifying curry dinners of my youth, but now that I've discovered much better curries, they are an utter delight.

I'm glad Robin's found a way to get with your fruit program!

9:52 PM, May 21, 2006

 
Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

I've always wanted to make this dish (there seem to be endless variations) but I don't think it's something my husband would enjoy. Someday I'll make it for my lunch.

I'm having trouble enlarging some pictures today. I thought it was just my pics but I can't enlarge your pics either. Is Blogger acting up again?

10:42 AM, May 22, 2006

 
Blogger Sara said...

mmm sounds good. i love anything with mango chutney.

10:22 PM, May 23, 2006

 
Blogger christine said...

Oh wow, this post had me drooling! I'm glad she liked it.

6:35 AM, May 24, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home