Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Blueberry Blintzes( dairy meal)






When I was growing up, about once a week we had what my mom called " a diary dinner". Because I grew up in a Jewish home( but not kosher), we never ever drank milk with a non-diary dinner. For instance, if we had chicken or meat( I ate red meat back then) we drank a soda with our meals. Looking back, I can't believe my mom let us drink diet soda all those years. If we had macaroni and cheese or breakfast foods, we drank milk. I used to cringe when I'd go to non-jewish friends house and see them drinking milk with a hamburger.

Blintzes was one of our diary meals that mom made us about once a month. When I lived in California, I would buy some pre-made blintzes at Junior's in Westwood or another deli in Santa Monica. Sometimes, I'd even buy the boxes of frozen golden blintzes. Living here, no such luck. If I want something from my childhood, I have to make it myself.

I love making blintzes because its a totally make ahead meal and you could even eat it for breakfast although we never did, it was always a diary dinner.

The traditional cheese in blintzes is farmer's cheese. I can't find that here, but I can find dry cottage cheese in one of the supermarkets in London that has a large kosher section. I looked around on the net for a recipe and I decided to use the crepe portion of the blitze recipe from epicurious. The recipe is originally from Stage Deli.

Once you've made your basic crepes, I made a filling with the dry cottage cheese, some light cream cheese and a bit of sugar. I also made a blueberry sauce using fresh blueberries, sugar, cornstarch and some OJ.

I wrapped each one individually in waxed paper( use wax paper to seperate the crepes). To cook them, I melt about 1/2tbls of butter, plus 1 tsp of veg oil in the pan. Brown each side, then stick the entire skillet in the oven and bake until the filling is heated through. These are traditionally served with sour cream and cinnamon sugar( at least in my house they were).

2 Comments:

Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

I can't believe you can't get frozen blintzes there.

I can't find farmer's cheese or dry cottage cheese here and I could really use one or the other for some Polish recipes I want to recreate.

5:21 AM, June 07, 2006

 
Blogger wheresmymind said...

my friend used to drink whole milk with pizza...bleh! I just got a crepe pan last weekend and I have my eye on making something like this!

5:52 AM, June 07, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home