Friday, June 09, 2006

English Muffins from scratch.....



On Wednesday, Christine and I went to Port Huron. I have a PO box there for magazines, ordering goodies, etc. It's a lot cheaper to have something sent to MI, rather than Canada. Anyway, a couple weeks ago, I bought a new breadmachine. I had one when I lived in California, but in my haste of packing up my stuff, I didnt want to deal with shipping it here. Looking back,I wish I would have. I love baking bread, and I've always felt like a phony if I use the bread machine. But, with the horrible heat and humidity we've had here( although you wouldnt know it today, its around 68F) I've had no desire to turn on the oven.

I was perusing thru a breadmachine cookbook that I checked out of the library and I saw these english muffins. Bacon and Eggs is on the breakfast menu tomorrow and I knew these would be a perfect accompanyment. The recipe calls for AP flour, but I replaced half a cup of the white flour with WW flour. Next time, I'll replace more.

I don't think my biscuit cutter was big enough because I got about 20 muffins, even though the recipe says I'd get 12. I used the dough cycle and then I rolled them out and cooked them up in a cast iron fry pan. I've never had a homeade english muffin before and I'm somewhat stunned at how good they are.

4 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Oh those look good! I should copy that recipe when I come over.

3:49 PM, June 09, 2006

 
Blogger wheresmymind said...

I like the concept of a breadmaker, but we don't have the room for more of my gadgets! lol

6:58 AM, June 10, 2006

 
Blogger Sara said...

I love english muffins! Yours look very very good.

4:25 PM, June 11, 2006

 
Blogger Dawna said...

Oh, you brave soul! I'm always terrified that I'd have a disaster on my hands if I tried English muffins... I've made English muffin bread, though, which was nice, and I make Welsh cakes, which are cooked the same way as the muffins, so maybe I should just get over it and try!

10:29 PM, June 11, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home