Thursday, June 29, 2006

Triple Chocolate Cookies( Bon Appetite)




Robin bought me some back issues of Bon Appetite at a yard sale. I took the June- August 2005 with me when we went to the beach last weekend. As soon as I saw these cookies, I knew I had to make them. They featured them as an ice cream sandwich with strawberry ice cream( I hate chocolate and strawberry together), so I knew I wouldnt serve them that way.

Yesterday I went to MI and bought 3 half gallons of bryers( on sale for 1.99 each, they cost a whopping 7.99 in Ontario) I like the light mint chip and that flavor isnt availble here, plus even if it was, I wouldnt pay that ridiculous price.

I also found some perugina on clearance at Target. I bought 4 of the dark chocolate bars and used 3 of them and a small amount of Trader Joe's Bittersweet in the recipe for the cookies. The cookies were so good. So chocolatey. I could only eat 1 that I split in half. Robin had 2 made into a sandwich. The recipe suggests freezing them for a few days, but we couldnt wait that long.

Make these, you wont be sorry.

TRIPLE-CHOCOLATE COOKIES

10 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons all purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 ounces (1 cup) semisweet chocolate chips



Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Stir chopped chocolate in top of double boiler set over simmering water until melted and smooth; remove from over water. Cool melted chocolate 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat sugar and butter in another medium bowl until crumbly. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue to beat until mixture is light, pale, and creamy, about 5 minutes. Add lukewarm melted chocolate and vanilla and beat just until blended. Fold in dry ingredients, then chocolate chips.

Drop chocolate cookie batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake cookies, 1 baking sheet at a time, until tops are evenly cracked but cookies are not yet firm to touch, about 16 minutes. Cool cookies completely on baking sheets. Using metal spatula, carefully transfer 4 cookies to each of 4 large resealable plastic bags, arranging in single layer. Freeze cookies overnight. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Keep frozen.)

Makes about 16.
Bon Appétit
July 2005
chef Tom Douglas

4 Comments:

Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

These are similar to the Fudge Drops I've made. I bet a bit of espresso powder would be great in these too. I love this style of cookie - they're like brownies.

5:25 AM, June 30, 2006

 
Blogger Heather said...

Oh these look so yummy! I might have to make a batch this weekend!

7:19 AM, June 30, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmm ... I could go for one of those right now!

7:01 PM, July 01, 2006

 
Blogger Joy Bugaloo said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I made them last night, and they were scrumptious! --Gina

9:56 PM, July 03, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home