Sunday, July 02, 2006

Cherry Crumb Pie( Bon Appetite)






Well, what do you know, I finally found a fruit dessert that Robin said " that was really good". I wonder if the fact that she pitted the 3lbs of cherries had something to do with it?

Cherries are on sale for 2 weeks for the incredibly low price of 1.99lb. I saw this recipe in an August 05 issue of BA( but its not on the website). I made the crust and topping the day before and then threw it together on Saturday morning. It was really really good. Now does anyone know if I can freeze pitted cherries? I'd love to make on of these in December.

Tender Pie Crust
makes 2 dough disks, enough for 2 pie crusts

3 cups ap flour
2tbls sugar
1 3/4 tsp salt
1 cup plus 2tbls butter chilled unsalted cut into 1/2 inch cubes( I used 1 3/4 cup of butter and the rest crisco)
8tbls water
1 1/2 tsp cider vinegar

blend flour, sugar, and salt in processor. Add butter using on/off turns, process until course meal forms. Add 8tbls ice water and vinegar and blend until moist clumps form. Gather dough together. Turn dough out onto work surface, divide dough in half. form each half into a ball and flatten into a disk. Wrap in saran wrap. Chill at least 1 hour( I made these the day before and took one out before I made the pie)

Sour Cherry Streusel Pie

You can use Bing cherries, add 1tbl of lemon juice to the filling.

1 crust

Streusel
1 and 1/4 cup flour
6tbls light brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter, melted.
1/4tsp vanilla extract

Mix first 5 ingredients in a bowl. Add melted butter and vanilla. Rub with fingertips until small clumps form.

Filling
Oven at 375. Place foil lined baking sheet in bottom of oven to catch spills( I baked mine on a foil lined cookie sheet)

1 cup( scant sugar). ( I thought that 1 cup was too much. Next time I'd use less)
3 1/2 tbls ap flour( I used instant tapioca)
1 tsp cinnamon
2 1/2 lbs sour cherries( I used bing)

Mix first 4 ingredients in blow. Add cherries, toss to coat. Let stand about 10 min until cherries release their juice. Transfer to crust, mounding in center. Top with streusel. Bake 20 min, tent loosely with foil and bake until top is golden about 1 hr 10 min.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cookie Madness said...

That looks really good. I wonder when the recipe will get posted on Epicurious? My subscription to BA has run lapsed due to sheer laziness.

6:20 PM, July 06, 2006

 
Blogger Cookie Madness said...

Randi, if you get around to typing it, please email it to me. I'd love it! But don't knock yourself out typing it up. No rush. Although I do need to make it while cherries are on sale.

6:38 PM, July 06, 2006

 
Blogger Cookie Madness said...

Thanks for posting the recipe, Randi. I just copied it down.

11:00 AM, July 07, 2006

 
Blogger kickpleat said...

it's so funny because my mom called me (from my hometown of london, on) to tell me that cherries are $1.99/lb and she bought a whole wack full! i love cherries and that pie looks wonderful.

11:11 PM, July 19, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home