Thursday, September 21, 2006

Fast and Easy Turkey Chili.....




I came home from Charlotte, NC on Tuesday. I was greeted by a very happy Robin, and very different weather. It was hot and humid in NC and its chilly and breezy here. Yesterday was perfect for making some Chili. Poor Robin, she told me she hasnt had a salad since before I left for NC. She deserved some home cooking and I was in a cooking mood. I didnt cook anything except for a batch of tollhouse cookies with my friends 4yr old( that was fun).

This turkey chili is very easy and fast. I entered it into a recipe contest for our local turkey farm and I won 1st place.

2lbs ground turkey( I use 100% breast meat because I know you all know by now that I can't stand dark meat).
1 can black beans, drained
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 can chili beans( undrained)
1-2 large cans tomatoes, crushed. ( I used Muir Glen fire roasted)
2-3tbls chili powder
1tbls cumin
1 chopped onion( sauteed in some oil)

I threw this together in about 10 min. I sauteed the onion, and normally, I'd add some chopped peppers, but I didnt have any frozen. I sauteed the turkey meat, then dumped everything in the pot and let it simmer. I also added 2 ears of corn that I shucked. ( we still have 1 roadside stand that sells fresh sweet corn).

I ALWAYS serve with some crushed tortilla chips, light sour cream and light cheddar.

I "took some help from the store" and made up a box of Trader Joe's corn bread. I made it into jumbo muffins.

I must have cornbread with chili( Robin thinks cornbread is like eating cake, I told her I'd make some southern style cornbread next time because that is unsweetened).

7 Comments:

Blogger wheresmymind said...

I thought you loved dark meat!! hehe j/k

10:25 AM, September 21, 2006

 
Blogger barbie2be said...

yum, i just had chili and corn bread for both lunch and dinner yesterday!

12:57 PM, September 21, 2006

 
Blogger christine said...

Wow 1st place, congratulations! Must try! :0

3:47 AM, September 22, 2006

 
Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

Great minds think alike, huh? Also, too add to the coincidence my MIL made corn muffins last Sunday and she's never served corn muffins to me before. I already had them on our menu for the week.

I think my corn muffins were too in-between. They had a little bit of sugar but not enough for my taste. I wouldn't have wanted them too much sweeter with the cheese but there wasn't much flavor from the cheese. Next time I'll either make them plain and sweeter or load them with chilies and/or a more flavorful cheese.

11:29 AM, September 22, 2006

 
Blogger Dee said...

Chili was just being mentioned around here recently...this sounds easy enough! :)

10:31 PM, September 30, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know you but I found your receipe in a random search and I just have to say THANK YOU. It is delicous :0)

5:19 AM, November 19, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just made chili for the first time ever and yours was amazing! Thanks.

3:23 PM, January 09, 2010

 

Post a Comment

<< Home