Friday, September 08, 2006

Peaches and Cream Pie......





A get a lot of inspiration from other bloggers. If I'm at a loss for what to make, I just search through my favorite foodblogs and I'm sure to find something. I bought a 3litre basket of Ontario Peaches( so freaking sweet and juicy this year) and I made some peach chutney( to be blogged about later). I had a bunch leftover and I didnt know what to do with them. I was going to make some peach jam, but Christine and I had a jam making session a few months ago and I have a lot of jars to give away as gifts. I found this award winning peaches and cream pie on Nic's blog. The original recipe comes from Allrecipes.com. It's not a pie in the traditional sense as it doesnt use a pie crust. The "crust" is made with vanilla pudding( non-instant, which I couldnt find in this town so I bought it in Michigan), flour, milk, egg, butter and baking powder. The original recipe calls for canned peaches, but I chose to use the fresh peaches. I diced them up( after removing the skin) and let them macerate in some sugar. That made a nice peach syrup that you mix with more sugar and cream cheese( I used light). Spread that over, sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on top and pop the entire thing into the oven for 30 minutes. I chilled it for 5hrs before we had some for dessert.

Verdict: It was good but odd. I wouldnt rush out and make it again, Id rather have a cobbler or a crisp, but it was different. Robin suggested I bring the majority of it to the neighbor's( He snowplow's our driveway constantly in the winter, so I always bring them goodies). Hopefully they enjoyed it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are so talented with your baking skills! Makes me want to go by some peaches!

9:17 PM, September 08, 2006

 
Blogger lindsey starr said...

I have a killer recipe for a raspberry and cream pie. I'll have to send it to you. I'm going raspberry picking next week and can hardly wait to make it. it would be good with these peaches in it too. I've made raspberry peach cobbler before, can't think why it wouldn't be perfect in my pie too! :)

11:02 AM, September 09, 2006

 
Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

I saw this recipe on Allrecipes.com. I gave serious consideration to making it. The reviews were so polarized - some loved it, some found it odd as you did. I think I'll have to make this someday, just to see what I think.

6:09 AM, September 11, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home