Sunday, October 01, 2006

Robin cooked......




This post isn't so much about what Robin cooked( scrambled eggs, oven roasted rosemary potatoes, bacon and toasted bagels), as it's about why she cooked. When she told me last night that she was making me breakfast today, I thought " how nice". Ya see, I was so bone-tired( exhausted really) that I couldnt even comprehend breakfast. Our weekend ritual is the same each and every weekend we're in town. Robin gets up at the butt crack of dawn, I stumble out of the bedroom a few hours later and before I've even brushed my teeth she says " whats for breakfast". Each and every weekend. Robin isnt much of a breakfast eater during the week( I'll usually push a zone bar or a bowl of oatmeal on her), but she likes our weekend ritual.

I almost had tears in my eyes, I was so giddy that she COOKED ME BREAKFAST, she could have served me hamburger helper and I would have been happy( Not really, but ya know what I mean).

I started my new job on Friday and I worked 9 1/2 hrs. On Saturday I worked 10 1/2 hrs with nary a break( 20 min on Friday for lunch and 10 yesterday). I cooked and cooked and cooked. I baked a wedding cake for 120. I made 8x a batch of custard filling, I made morning glory muffin mix x 10, crabcakes, tarter sauce, and guacamole. I made the filling and assembled 26 quesadillas, I made a bechamel with 8 cups of milk, I filled a zillion vietnamese salad rolls, I made tuna, chicken and egg salad and filled 100 pieces of heart shaped breads for tea sandwiches. I chopped and sauteed and whipped and folded and assembled until I couldnt move another muscle. I litterally collapsed into bed on Friday and Saturday nights. Oh and I remade everything I made on Friday in my dreams that night.

I stood for hours on end and used muscles I didnt even know I had. I feel so old!!

But, I loved cooking everything. I love this caterer, she uses amazing fresh ingredients and doesnt skimp on quality. She( or the staff) makes everything from scratch. Oh and she's American( we clicked right away). She said I did an excellent job and that I have this inate ability( which was nice to hear, but which I already knew). She said that people have applied to work for her who flat out told her they didnt like to cook( she didnt hire them). Oh and the best part was that I didnt have to do 1 dish!!!.

I'll be working mostly Friday/ Saturday's and I won't be cooking or posting anymore over the weekend. When I left there yesterday, I didnt want to cook a thing and I didnt think I would ever want to cook again LOL( I ate a PB+J for dinner)( I used the wonderful raspberry preserves from BBM4). However, today I was itching to get back in the kitchen( after 8 hours of sleep last night and a 2hr nap today). We had a dinner function to atttend so the cooking will have to wait until tomorrow!!

Thanks Robin, you're a treasure.

3 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Robin Rocks. I am so glad you like your new job.

3:27 AM, October 02, 2006

 
Blogger wheresmymind said...

I love cooking for Steph, it really is an expression of how much I care for her.

6:10 AM, October 02, 2006

 
Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

I'm glad you like your new job. I actually wish I had a job like that (busy, fast-paced, bone-tiring). I always loved that kind of work. I worked for a caterer in high school (food prep and waitressing).

8:00 AM, October 04, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home