Sunday, November 05, 2006

Andy's Fairfield Granola........




Now that I've finally succeded in getting Robin to eat breakfast( activia yogurt and granola) I thought it was time I finally make my own granola. She's been eating some Nature's Path Soy granola I brought back from Whole Foods in Ann Arbor, but that box is almost gone. I've had this recipe on my To Make list for awhile. I don't know why I waited so long. Its so easy and so good. The entire recipe calls for 2tbls of oil( safflower being the reccommended oil). I had some wonderful hazelnut oil in the fridge so I used that for some extra flavor. I also subbed dried cranberries for the raisins. Nigella says this recipe comes from a shop in Fairfield, CT. She was there on her book tour for Forever Summer. She said she ate this everyday and brought tons of it back to the UK. I can see why!!

4.5 cups rolled oats
1 cup sunflower seeds
¾ cup sesame seeds
¾ cup apple sauce
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
⅓ cup brown rice syrup, (OR rice malt syrup, OR golden syrup) I used golden syrup.
¼ cup honey
¾ cup light brown sugar
2 cups whole almonds
1 tsp. sea salt
2 tbsp. sunflower oil
2 cups raisins
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

2.Mix everything (except the raisins) together.

3. Spread on baking sheets and bake for 40-60 minutes (till evenly golden, after one turning).

4. Cool and add raisins.

Notes:
One variation: replace almonds with raw peanuts and add 1/4 cup cocoa powder to seeds and oats at the outset. Skip the raisins.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Randi - I love the sound of this, especially with only two tablespoons of oil. The variation sounds awesome too!

5:16 PM, November 05, 2006

 
Anonymous BJ said...

Okay, that sounds like serious levels of awesome. My mom use to make us homemade granola, I have to try making this.

7:00 PM, August 03, 2011

 

Post a Comment

<< Home