Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Tortilla soup with Chipoltle shrimp( cuisine at home)...




When I lived in Cali, I never ate much soup. I'd make a big pot of matza ball when I was sick, but other than that soup didnt make it on my menu too often. To me, it has to be cold outside for soup. I saw this Cuisine at Home Soups and Splendid sides magazine( 9.99) at Barnes and Noble in Port Huron. I paged through it and every soup looked so good( I have another one on the menu this week). I love tortilla soup so this was naturally my first choice. It came together in 15 minutes too. I sauteed some onions and garlic along with a variety of mexican spice( cumin, corriander, oregano). Added some chicken stock( I had it frozen, but low sodium canned would work too). I then added a can of diced tomatoes, frozen corn, a can of black beans and a few torn corn tortillas. The recipe calls for charred poblano peppers but I subbed a can of green chilies. I also added some salsa verde and some chili powder. On sauteed some jumbo shrimp and added that as a garnish. Sour cream, shredded cheese and tortilla strips make a tasty garnish.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger wheresmymind said...

Yum Randi...that sounds great!

6:31 PM, November 07, 2006

 
Blogger Cyndi said...

I think I"ll add this to my collection - but I'll have to put chicken in it since DH is allergic to shrimp. I like the addition of sour cream. There's a restaurant near here that makes a creamy tortilla soup - yours looks pretty close to it, if I stir the sour cream into the soup.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

1:42 PM, November 09, 2006

 
Blogger Cyndi said...

Done! I posted about it today. I was so good; DH says I have to make it again soon.

12:22 PM, November 12, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home