Sunday, March 25, 2007

Curiosity got the best of me.....



I picked this up back in August when I was in Ann Arbor, MI because I was really curious about it. I mean, come on, who would pay 18.00 for a cake mix? $3.99 sounds more reasonable, and its hard for me to resist what I deem a "bargain". These mixes are manufactured by Nordicware and are advertised as "all natural".

I picked up two more of these mixes at Marshall's last week. Both were on clearance for 3 bucks. One is the infamous tunnel of fudge and a cinnamon swirl. I planned to make one of those last night but then I saw that this butterscotch mix had a use by date of Jan 07, I thought I better make this one instead.

This is the first mix I've ever seen that has a two step recipe, cream butter with a sugar packet, add dry packet alternately with milk. The streusel is mixed with 4tbl of butter and placed in the middle.

I'm please to say this did NOT taste like a mix. NO chemical taste whatsoever. I wont buy them again because for the amount of butter( 12tbls in cake, 4 in struesel) and eggs( 4), I could make a from scratch cake with just a tad more effort. (measuring the flour, sugar, and levener).

I skipped the optional glaze( more butter, brown sugar, rum) and instead just dusted with confectioners sugar.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

I see these mixes in the Williams Sonoma store but they are so expensive. Good to hear that they at least taste good.

11:46 AM, March 25, 2007

 
Blogger Judy said...

I just found your blog, and I'm glad!

I was looking at the pizza in the below post, and it looks so good. Now I want pizza :)

8:26 AM, March 26, 2007

 
Blogger Alice Q. Foodie said...

I know, isn't it funny that these mixes are so expensive - and then you have to add the most expensive ingredients, like butter and eggs? So silly. I do like finding a bargain though and I have been curious, so I'm glad you posted about this. Thanks for stopping by and leaving some comments, I am enjoying checking out your blog!

9:59 AM, April 07, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home