Sunday, April 15, 2007

Red chili chicken enchiladas( Cook's Illustrated).....





I was actually quite excited today. I didnt have to work and I could actually cook for myself and Robin. I also got a great surprise this morning. Robin actually made me breakfast. I forgot to take a picture of it though. She made me a toasted Western which is essentially an egg sandwich. I requested green onion in mine on lightly toasted bread. I also didnt want to see any brown on the egg. Let's just say two out of three aint bad!! Seriously though, it was a good breakfast and I was almost giddy that she made it. It's the little things people!!

Since I had nothing else to do today but cook, I made these enchilada's. Like all Cook's Illustrated recipes, it takes time. A simple enchilada sauce is made with plain tomatoe sauce and spices. Cook's uses chicken thigh, I used breast with no ill effects. I also made homeade black beans and spanish rice. I used brown rice for the extra health benefit( and because I was out of white and didnt want to go to the store).




Chicken Enchiladas with Red Chile Sauce
10 enchiladas, serving 4 or 5




If you prefer, Monterey Jack can be used instead of cheddar, or, for a mellower flavor and creamier texture, try substituting an equal amount of farmers' cheese.
INGREDIENTS


Sauce and Filling

1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil or corn oil
1 medium onion ,chopped fine (about 1 cup)
3 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 tablespoon)
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon table salt
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 4 thighs), trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
2 cans tomato sauce (8 ounces each)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 can (4 ounces) pickled jalapeƱos , drained and chopped (about 1/4 cup)
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese , grated (2 cups)

Tortillas and Toppings

10 corn tortillas (six-inch)
Vegetable cooking spray
3 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese (3/4 cup)
3/4 cup sour cream
1 avocado , diced medium
5 leaves romaine lettuce washed, dried, and shredded
2 limes , quartered



See Illustrations Below: Assembling Enchilidas

1. FOR THE SAUCE AND FILLING: Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat until hot and shimmering but not smoking, about 2 minutes; add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, coriander, cumin, salt, and sugar; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chicken and cook, stirring constantly, until coated with spices, about 30 seconds. Add tomato sauce and 1/4 cup water; stir to separate chicken pieces. Bring to simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and flavors have melded, about 8 minutes. Pour mixture through medium-mesh strainer into medium bowl, pressing on chicken and onions to extract as much sauce as possible; set sauce aside. Transfer chicken mixture to large plate; freeze for 10 minutes to cool, then combine with cilantro, jalapenos, and cheese in medium bowl and set aside.
2. Adjust oven racks to upper and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 300 degrees.
3. TO ASSEMBLE: Follow illustrations below to heat tortillas and fill, roll, and sauce enchiladas. Cover baking dish with foil. Bake enchiladas on lower-middle rack until heated through and cheese is melted, 20 to 25 minutes. Uncover and serve immediately, passing sour cream, avocado, lettuce, and lime wedges separately.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Sounds very delicious, I love Mexican food. I'll be giving this a try.

8:04 PM, April 15, 2007

 
Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

Still going with Cook's Illustrated for Mexican when you have Diana Kennedy books LOL??? I'll be interested to see if you ever try any of her recipes. I really felt bad that I never did but they were too authentic for me. Still interesting to read though.

7:19 AM, April 16, 2007

 
Blogger Randi said...

The reason I went with this recipe is because I've made it before and I knew it would come out. I havent had a chance to read the entire DK book yet. I will though, I promise.

7:29 AM, April 16, 2007

 
Blogger Cyndi said...

I'm impressed with the time you took to do this - I'm so lazy and/or pressed for time I just open a can of Old El Paso enchilada sauce! I bet those enchiladas were a LOT better than mine!

11:27 AM, April 16, 2007

 
Blogger beatlunch said...

Hi Randi,
Thanks for transcribing this recipe. Have gone back to it in different forms since first making it ~20yrs. ago. Followed the instructions/amts./etc. faithfully and ad-libbed the 'follow illustrations below...' bit, having done this so many times. My only suggestion is to sauce the shells by dredging them in the red sauce once it is ready to put together. Liked your pic with the beans and rice sides too.

9:32 AM, March 05, 2024

 

Post a Comment

<< Home