Friday, November 09, 2007

I have been cooking.....



I havent really been making anything too exciting. Our granite is being installed at the moment and all we'll need to complete the kitchen is a pendant light( next week) and backsplash. The kitchen is still a bit unorganized and a mess so I've been keeping my cooking to simple things. I did make this oreo cheesecake for a fundraiser Robin attended. I also made 3 of these for the Senior Meal last night. It went over really well. Its a simple recipe on the back of the philly package( here in Canada). I ended up using Lactania cream cheese because it went on sale on the weekend for .99 a bar. That price sounds normal for the US, but here in Ontario cream cheese is over 3.00 a bar. Each cheesecake has 4 bars, 4 eggs, 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of sour cream. You add some chopped oreos too. The crust is simply oreo's and butter.


The other day I found some fresh pasta clams on sale at Sobey's for 3.99lb. I've never seen fresh clams around these parts so I dug out a recipe from Cook's Illustrated. It was pretty simple and it came out great!!.



Last but not least, I made some homeade hummus for the event Robin attended. It ridiculous how expensive hummus is when you buy it ready made. I made this from scratch( using dried beans) and it cost about 2.00 for a full quart. I even bought a big jar of Tahini. I basically winged it using garlic, Evoo, salt, pepper, lemon juice, tahini and a big spoonful of peanut butter. I sprinkled some chopped parsely on top. I served it with cut up greek style wheat pita.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger MeloMeals said...

Looks awesome. I make my cheesecake crust out of newmans own chocolate mint sandwich cookies... delicous..


also, the humus looks great! It always surprises me how much people pay for hummus, given it's so easy to make your own.. and from dried beans it's even cheaper!

2:59 PM, November 11, 2007

 
Blogger Joy Bugaloo said...

Ok, I want to make the Oreo cheesecake. Can you share the exact recipe, pleeeease? Wait, is this it?

http://cheesecake-recipes.kraftfoods.com/cheesecake_27.html

Please advise. --Gina

P.S. What else did you make for the seniors? Are you blogging about that elsewhere?

6:31 PM, November 11, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home