Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Yellow cupcakes( vegan) with choc.frosting( not vegan).....



By now you know I'm not a Vegan and I probably will never be one( I really love dairy too much). I probably could become a vegetarian though. I havent eaten red meat in over 20 years and lately the thought of chicken or pork gives me bad shivers. I honestly don't like cleaning or touching raw chicken!!

You're probably asking "then why did she buy a vegan cookbook?" I bought Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World last year sometime because I thought so many of the cupcakes I'd see on other foodbloggers sites looked really good. I also thought " I'd still like to bake if I don't have any dairy or eggs in the house". That should be reason enough right?

Anyway, as I prepared our non-vegan dinner last night of Turkey burgers and oven baked fries, I decided I'd like a little treat for dessert. Aside from those chocolate brownie muffins, I havent baked anything in about 2 weeks.

I whipped out the book and decided on this basic yellow cupcake. The recipe came together in about 5 minutes. You clabber some soymilk( I used vanilla) with of cider vinegar in order to mimic buttermilk. You add your sugar to that along with some flavoring and 1/3c of oil. I used Fiori Di Sicilia, a citrus floraly vanilla flavoring from KA flour. You add the wet ingredients to the dry( flour, cornstarch, soda and powder) and thats it. I didnt even pull out the mixer!!

They smelled heavenly while they were baking, but I was still a bit skeptical. Since it was freezing outside( 12f), I popped them on the deck to cool for about 5 minutes. I frosted them with some simple chocolate frosting( NOT VEGAN) that I had leftover from a party I catered. If I was a vegan, obviously I would have whipped up a vegan frosting using margarine, but I dont even have any margarine in my house!!

I gave Robin a cupcake while explaining to her that these are vegan. Like the muffins, she was a bit skeptical!! How can you make a cupcake with no eggs?

The verdict? We liked them. They were light and not too sweet with a nice flavor. Next time, I'll try the chocolate kind. After all, I still have almost a full container of soymilk to use up......

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Emmy said...

Hey Randi!!!! How are you doing? *HUGS* Thanks so much for your email. I've been a bag blogger. I'm back to blogging again and this time I mean it :)

The cupcakes look delish!

7:39 PM, January 28, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! My name is Ariane and I live in Vermont. I love your blog (your cupcakes look delicious). Anyway, I have been trying to find a way to get Wonderbars sent to me for years! I can't seem to find a website or anything where I can order them. Do you know how I could get some? I ask because you live in Canada so maybe you know something I don't. My email is ariane.p.smith@gmail.com
I'd appreciate it!
Thanks!

4:37 PM, January 31, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home