Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lazy Daisy cake(TOH)........



I whipped this cake up in litterally 5 minutes the other night. It was a cinch and it had a great flavor. This is an old-fashioned recipe that has been around for awhile so I decided I'm going to make it for the seniors when I cook for them next Thursday. The cake is basically a hot milk sponge cake with a broiled coconut topping. I love coconut so I loved the toping!! Robin isnt a super huge coconut fan, but she enjoyed it. I cut the recipe in half and made it in a 9inch square pan.

Here is the full recipe for a 9 x 13
4 eggs
2 c. sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 c. milk( I used skim with no ill effects)
1/4 c. butter

topping
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. butter( I actually will cut down the butter next time I make it)
1/2 c. half and half
2 cups coconut.

In mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla for 4 minutes. Add flour, baking powder and salt. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter to a boil, stiring constantly. Add to batter, mix until combined. Pour into greased pan and bake at 350 for 30-45 min.

Combine topping ingredients, spread over warm cake. Broil until light brown 3-4 minutes.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always wondered what a Lazy Daisy cake looked like. I'll bet it would be good with pineapple topping, too.

4:52 PM, February 21, 2008

 
Blogger Cakespy said...

I haven't seen this cake in such a long time! I am so glad I found this, my Grandma used to make it!!

4:34 PM, February 24, 2008

 
Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

I made this cake once and I really liked the cake part. The topping was good too but the cake stood out even more for some reason. I think my recipe used cake flour.

5:50 AM, February 25, 2008

 
Blogger freddychef said...

As my MEC frypan mexican brownies cool I think I'll try this cake next time out at sea....freddychef

2:38 PM, March 14, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home