Saturday, April 19, 2008

Cowgirl chicken casserole and Shrimp Etouffee.....





One day last year I was surfing through the zillions of foodblogs and found a recipe for a chocolate peanut butter pie. The recipe came from Emeril's book called PotLuck kicked up comfort food with attitude. The book was less than 1.00 used so I bought it. We were invited to a bday party potluck on Friday so I pulled out the book and found these two recipes. I REALLY wanted to make the shrimp etouffee because shrimp was on sale ( 31-40) for a really low price of 3.99 a bag. Robin nixed that idea saying a lot of people don't really like shellfish so I made it for us instead. It was super easy to make and really tasty. Etouffee means smothered and thats basically what it was. You start by making a light roux and then you add the famous cajun trinity. Bell peppers, onions and celery. Shrimp stock is added next( I used Better than Boullion lobster stock and it worked fine) and this mixture simmers for awhile. Shrimp is added in last and its served over rice. I had some white rice leftover from a Chinese food meal we had so it was a snap to reheat.

We decided on this cowboy( I renamed it cowgirl) chicken casserole for the Friday Potluck. I did a lot of the prep on Thursday night so it came together fast. Emerils recipes include a lot of steps, but the flavor really comes thru. This dish consists of diced or shredded chicken( you poach it in a flavorful broth) over crushed crunchy tortilla chips. Next you make a mushroom bechamel( no canned soup here!!) and pour that over. Diced onions, peppers, cheese and spices round out the next layer. Oh and lots of shredded cheese. Canned chopped tomatoes and green chilies finish it off. It bakes for 40 min and voila!! It was very tasty and as you can see, it make a huge dish.

ps: The blogger upload picture thing wasnt working so I had to use a cut and paste from snapfish. The pics are big, sorry for that.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Yay, "Cowgirl" chicken casserole! Love it!

xox Sarah

8:55 PM, April 19, 2008

 
Blogger Colette said...

Hi! In reply to the comment you made on my blog about Carole Walter's dough, (it says you posted it yesterday)mine did not rise, and my aunt's did not rise either. I used Instant yeast, she used active dry. However, after shaping the dough, it rises a bit but it takes time. It tastes amazing once baked though! Sometimes I wait for it to rise after shape, sometimes just for 45 min. then I bake anyway. (I'm impatient)
=3 Please make it again since it's such a great recipe!

12:09 PM, April 21, 2008

 
Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

That shrimp looks so good. We've been avoiding shellfish due to my son's other food allergies but I miss it so much.

7:42 AM, April 23, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home