Friday, August 22, 2008

The Spice House Evanston, IL.....



I know many avid cooks rave about Penzey's, but I'm a fan of The Spice House. Patty, one of the owners is a Penzey so you're getting the best of both worlds. You can read about Patty over here.

The first thing I noticed when I went to the Evanston store was the intoxicating smell. It hits you like a ton of bricks before you even step inside. I love how the spices are displayed in glass jars and the sales associates weight everything out for you. It seems a lot more personal than shopping at Penzey's. I did go a tad bit crazy, but I rationalize it like this " I dont drink or smoke and I cook every day". So, there you go.

I bought 1oz of each type of cinnamon as I wanted to try them all. I also bought 4oz of Robin's favorite salad dressing mix. I really despise bottled ranch dressing so this is a great alternative.

I've also been looking for Salt-free adobo for at least a year. The Spice house is the only place I've found it.

If you're a fan of Penzey's, give The Spice House a try, you'll be pleasently surprised.

2 Comments:

Blogger Patsyk said...

I had my first visit to a Penzey's last May and enjoyed it quite alot... so much that I had so many new spices to pack and find homes for when I got home!

I don't have either store locally, so hopefully one day I'll get to visit the Spice House - it sounds like a blast for foodies!

10:19 AM, August 22, 2008

 
Blogger Cate said...

Looks like a very dangerous place to have nearby! My sister's in-laws live in Evanston -- maybe I need to request a care package the next time she visits. :)

6:10 PM, August 23, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home