Monday, September 01, 2008

Great Guacamole.......




One of the great things about living in this culinary wasteland is the fabulous price I usually get on Haas avocados. When I lived in Cali, I routinely paid upwards of 2.00 each for an avocado. Maybe its because they really havent " taken off" here, but at least once a month I pick up a bag on the clearance rack for .99. Yesterday, I found a bag of 7( yes SEVEN) perfectly ripe ORGANIC avocados for less than 1.00. Because we were having dinner guests, I whipped up a batch of my famous guacamole. I usually make it the same way every single time, but for some odd reason, this batch tasted extra special( maybe it was the fleur de sel that Robin picked up at a liquidation store for another mere 1.00).

I used 4 avocado's, about 1-2 tbls of Green Mountain mild salsa, a few tbls of roughly chopped red onion( white onion is good too, but dont use a spanish onion), a few squirts of lime juice and a few tbls of chopped cilantro( oh and salt and pepper).

Yummy!!

Btw, I leared a neat trick over on the Cook's Illustrated message boards. Someone( I cant remember who) said they flick off that little stem on top of the avocado and if its green underneath, the avocado is ripe. If its brown, the majority will be brown. It worked everytime. Look at the picture of that perfect avocado~~

3 Comments:

Blogger Joy Bugaloo said...

That is truly a mystery for the ages--why avocados are SO CHEAP in Canada! I am constantly sneaking them back across the border under the car seats. (I sure hope George Bush and/or the USDA aren't monitoring this posting.) Tee hee.

--Gina

8:47 PM, September 01, 2008

 
Blogger Sara said...

There's nothing better than cheap avocados! I'm in California where they're usually at least $1+, but there's a produce market near my house that has small ones 4/$1.

10:33 AM, September 07, 2008

 
Blogger Patsyk said...

That is an AMAZING deal on the avocados! I love guacamole, and yours looks delicious!

10:37 AM, September 08, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home