Monday, October 13, 2008

Black Forest Cake( Cuisine @ Home).....




I spent the majority of the weekend cooking as today is Canadian Thanksgiving. We celebrated yesterday as most people around here are prone to do. Having experienced both American and Canadian Thanksgivings, I'd say that its less of a big deal here in Ontario!!( Dont hate on me for saying that). I couldnt imagine having Thanksgiving on Friday instead of its intended Thursday( which btw, this year falls on Robin's bday).

Anyway, we hosted this year as we have a new kitchen( renovation started the day after Thanksgiving last year). Because I made a big Thanksgiving meal last Thursday for the seniors, I decided to go a bit untraditional this year. We had Chicken/Sausage manicotti, Garlic slathered stretch bread and this fabulous Black Forest Cake. The cake is great because you MUST make it the day before so the flavors can meld. The whipped cream frosting is stabilized with a cornstarch/cream mixture that is first heated to make a "pudding". The filling is a mixture of dark cherries, dried cherries, cherry jam and cherry juice. The cake is a simple choc. cake that contains NO eggs.

The only deviation I made from the recipe I used was to use some Kirch in the cherry compote as well as between the cake layers. This cake was amazing!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Tino said...

That cake looks YUMMY! Cherry and chocolate ... my favorite taste combination.

12:02 PM, October 13, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I've been looking around for a good black forest cake recipe and this one sounds so promising! I like that it has cherry jam rather than just cream and cherries. I've tried to google the recipe but cannot find it anywhere. Would you be kind enough to share it with me? Thanks so much!!

10:11 PM, October 13, 2008

 
Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

It does look amazing. Generally I don't like fruit mixed with chocolate except for a few exceptions - cherry and chocolate being the main one.

6:55 AM, October 14, 2008

 
Blogger Debbie said...

Wow...what a beautiful cake. I love black forest cake but have never made one. Yours looks so tasty!

4:27 AM, October 16, 2008

 
Blogger Sara said...

Your cake is beautiful, I love black forest cake but I never think to make it.

6:03 AM, October 22, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home