Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Happy Birthday to me!!





Today I made my own birthday cake. I've heard more than a few friends proclaim their surprise because I made my own cake. I only have one friend in Ontario that cooks/bakes and she lives over an hour away. If I saw her, I'm sure she would have baked for me( Hi Christine). But, since we had no plans I made my own cake. OMG and what a cake it was. This coconut cake recipe was given to me months ago by my friend Brooks Hamakaer aka Mayhaw Man( on Egullet). Brooks was featured in the November issue of Southern Living with this crack cake!!

I'm a HUGE lover of coconut anything. My 40th birthday cake was also a coconut cake bought at We Take The Cake in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I have to say though, that this cake topped that cake anyday. It wasnt hard to make, but it was ohhhhh soooo fattening. The cake contains a pound of butter, 2 1/4 c. of heavy cream, one pound of cream cheese and 5 eggs. Oy, not an everyday cake mind you, but you dont turn 42 every day.

Tomorrow I head to Burlington to visit the Chocolate doctor. We're going to make buttercrunch( aka English Toffee). Later on in the afternoon, I'm heading to Western NY to visit my friend Stephanie for a few days. Stephanie and I met in college( in California) and I'm so glad she is only 3hrs away. I'm also glad that Stephanie can cook!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Happy Birthday Randi!

8:32 PM, December 02, 2008

 
Blogger Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday!
And that cake looks fabulous! I've never made a coconut cake (despite baking a lot) because my family doesn't like coconut and I don't want to "have" to eat it all myself! However, you are right, it would make a fabulous birthday treat. (And, heck, if it's my bday, who cares if no one else will eat it, and how cares about the calories!)

8:11 AM, December 03, 2008

 
Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

Happy Birthday!

You're killing me with these cakes.

9:52 AM, December 03, 2008

 
Blogger Debbie said...

The cake looks great! I need to try making a coconut layer cake. Have never made one. I'm afraid I might eat the whole thing myself!

3:33 PM, December 03, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Randy,

This cake looks amazing! I have to make it!!! YUMMM!!!!!

Also...

I'm sorry to post here (please forgive), but I couldn't find an email address, and I wanted to include you since I love your site so much.

I am hosting a semi-secret Santa exchange for the food blogging (and reading) community, and I would like to invite you and your readers to join in the fun.

This is a great way to get to know your fellow food bloggers and readers, since you can peruse each other’s blogs or exchange emails and find out about cultural heritages, traditions, and special recipes, and to learn about the goodies they have available in their community to share with you, as well as their likes and dislikes, and what they have been longing for that you may have right in your own backyard. Think of all the opportunities for requests of unique homemade goodies, and exotic food and kitchen items!

Why is it “semi-secret?”

Visit my blog to find out that and other details, as well as to participate in the exchange.

Cheers,

~ Paula
(of Ambrosia Quest)

1:08 PM, December 04, 2008

 
Blogger Katrina said...

So I usually read your blog, and a lot of others at that, but this season seems to be kicking my butt, you know. SO busy. BUT, I missed your posts about your trip to NYC--I was just there Nov. 6-7-8. So fun! and I toured all the food places, too. The Levain CCC is my favorite.
The chocolate cake below, looks amazing! And happy belated! That coconut cake also looks divine. Hey, sometimes if we want a certain thing, we have to make it ourself, even if it's for our own birthday! ;)
Yum, yum, yum--to it all!

10:53 AM, December 15, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home