Monday, April 13, 2009

Bagels.......




I'm a bit of a bagel snob. I only really like them when they're fresh and untoasted, and not just any bagel will do. It has to be an authentic NY water bagel( which can actually be made anywhere, not just NY). The BEST bagels in my opinion are from The Sage Appetizing shop in Hallandale Beach, FL. When Robin and I go to S. Fl, we usually eat here at least 3 or 4 times in one week. I swear, I shed a tear when Robin finally tried her very fresh bagel untoasted. She said to me " I see what you mean now". Such a proud moment for me. Last year, I begged them to sell me some high gluten flour so I could attempt to make my own bagels. I lugged back 5lbs and finally decided to make them this weekend. I used the recipe from the Bread Baker's Apprentice and it was awesome!! I dont know why I didnt do this sooner. It was a fairly simple recipe that is made the day before you plan to serve them. The morning of, you boil and bake them off. I served them yesterday for Easter Brunch( ironic huh?) with some lox I got at Costco. I had one today and they were still really great untoasted!!

We're going to Florida in May for a wedding and I plan on begging them for some more flour, hopefully they'll oblige me.